Air conditioning costs could become serious during the hottest part of the year. There are many simple steps which will reduce the amount of energy that an air conditioner unit utilizes daily, which in turn can drive down the overall costs of running an air conditioner. These steps tend not to cost much to apply, however the savings they give you is going to be noticeable all summer long.
1. Setting up an automated thermostat in your house is an effective approach to ensure you don’t expend pointless energy on heating or cooling when you are sleeping or out of the house. According to Energy Star, getting a programmable thermostat to keep your air conditioning system from running in daytime can cut your electricity costs by as much as $180 annually.
2. Think about insulating your property better. If you can maintain the heat out and keep more of the cool in, you simply won’t have to run your unit as much. This initial expenditure should save you money on your heating and cooling bills throughout the year. Make sure that windows are properly sealed and if needed replace them with a more recent one.
3. Try to make use of your oven as sparingly as possible; frequent oven use is one of the fastest methods to heat your residence. Rather, make use of microwave or toaster, which both expend less energy and produce less heat. Once you do use the oven, keep preheating to a minimum. Its also wise to stay away from such heat-generating appliances because the dishwasher and dryer during the day.
4. Switch off lights when they are certainly not used. All artificial lights, even compact fluorescent lamps and LED bulbs, produce at least some heat. Getting yourself into the habit of flipping a light switch once you leave a room will pay off in the long run by reducing air conditioner usage and energy.
5. Keep heavy shades, drapes, or perhaps awning on the bright and sunny side of your house. This can block sunlight from entering therefore keeping extra heat out of your house that you do not need or want.
It is just a known fact that cooling systems are incredibly pricey, but it doesn’t need to be that way. Should you really want to save some cash during this bad economic season, then you will be certain to take all of the proper steps before. You simply won’t regret taking preventative measures when you are saving thousands per year.