“The causes of these fires range from food left unattended on the stove to candles left burning. From the moment a fire starts to the point where the structure is fully engulfed is usually less than two minutes, which is why it is so important for occupants to get out of the home as quickly as possible and not try to put out a large fire themselves.”
Each year, thousands of Canadians experience a fire in their home. Being prepared can make the difference between life and devastating loss.
Here are 4 common causes of house fires, and the preventive steps you can take to protect your family and home.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home-fire injuries.1
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking, especially if using oil and/or high temperatures. If you must leave the room, turn off the stove.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire away from heat sources – i.e. oven mitts, dish towels, paper towels.
- Keep your appliances clean. Food residue and grease build-up is flammable.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher in your kitchen.